Skill 2, Pre-dive Safety Check (BWRAF)
- Check the power inflator hose, check it works OK inflate your buddies BCD using the low pressure inflator and by orally inflating it.
- Deflate the BCD by pressing the deflate button on the power inflator hose and by checking all exhaust valves on the BCD
Weights- check your Buddy’s weight system:
- Make sure you know how to your buddies weights system is set up
- Check to see if they are integrated or a standard weight belt and you know how to release them.
- If using a weight belt make sure it is right hand release
Releases: Check and get familiar with your buddies Releases;
- Familiarise yourself with all the buckles and straps on your buddies BCD, including shoulder straps, chest strap, Velcro cummerbund/waistband and waist strap.
- Check the tank strap is secure and the tank is at the correct height, one hands width below the curve of the top of the cylinder.
- Check the Scuba Tanks’ strap. Make sure the tank is secured and located at the right height (the strap should be placed around a fist bellow the tanks markings
- Make sure that your buddy’s air tank valve is open
- Check the pressure, you should have 2500-3000PSI at the start of the dive
- Breath from both second stage regulators, if you smell or taste anything unfamiliar or if you think the air may be contaminated don’t us it. Look at the pressure gauge as you breath, if the pressure drops check that the cylinder valve is fully open, if the cylinder valve is open and the pressure continues to drop when breathing check/change the regulator
- If there’s still needle movement after turning the air on, there might be a problem with the regulator. Replace the regulator and check it again.
- Breath from your buddies Alternate Air Source, secure it in the correct position and make sure it is easily released in case of emergency
- Check that your buddy has his Fins, Scuba Mask and Dive Computer.
- Check that your buddy is streamlined, and everything is attached and secured.
- Check that you brought all accessories required.
Video provided courtesy of our friends at www.coconuttreedivers.com & www.goprocaribbean.com