How to perform the regulator recovery and mask clearing skill
- In water shallow enough to stand up in, kneel on the pool or sand bottom, and with the regulator in your mouth take a deep breath
- Remove the regulator from your mouth, make sure the mouthpiece faces downwards
- Remembers to breathe out slowly.
- Let go of the regulator and let it fall back and behind you
- Lean to your right side
- Hold your right arm straight out in front of you and then sweep it down, brush past your right leg towards your air cylinder
- You should be able to “hook” the hose and regulator with your right arm
- Bring your right arm back towards you and retrieve the regulator
- Place the regulator in your mouth, purge it and continue to breathe.
- If you do not succeed on the first try, continue the process.
- If you cannot retrieve your primary regulator after a number of attempts, switch to your spare regulator.
Video provided by our friends at www.coconuttreedivers.com & www.goprocaribbean.com